Revival of The Centenary Church ‘The Friary’ in Lancaster City Centre
HPA are pleased to be working with CityBlock to revive the Centenary Church, formally known as The Friary.
The Centenary Church, located in Lancaster City Centre, is a Grade II Listed Building within a Conservation Area and the Heritage Action Zone of Lancaster. Constructed from rock faced sandstone with a slate roof between 1879-81, the former Congregational Church was designed in a Gothic Revival Style by JC Hetherington and GD Oliver.
In the early 1990’s , the Church was deconsecrated and converted into a public house; The Friary. Since closing its doors in 2014, the building has remained empty and has slowly deteriorated.
In 2018, local developers CityBlock purchased the building and have been working with HPA to bring this derelict building back into use and address its large conservation deficit caused by flooding and vermin. HPA have secured the listing building consent for the refurbishment works which include the stone repair, roof repair and the reinstatement of the stained glass and rose windows.
The building is integral to the ongoing regeneration of Lancaster city centre and sits within the Canal Quarter of Lancaster.
Photos courtesy of CityBlock Group.