The Centenary Church, located in Lancaster City Centre, is a Grade II Listed Building within the Lancaster Conservation Area. Constructed in rock faced sandstone with a slate roof between 1879-81, the former Congregational Church was designed in a Gothic Revival Style.
In the early 1990’s , the Church was deconsecrated and converted into a public house. This became known as The Friary. In 2015, The Friary closed its doors and the building has remained empty and deteriorating since. The building was badly flooded and was left abandoned.
In 2018, local developers CityBlock purchased the building and have been working with HPA to bring this derelict building back into use. The building is very important to the regeneration of Lancaster City Centre and plans are currently in place to refurbish the existing building and turn it into retail/leisure use.
HPA have secured the Listed Building Permission and are now working with Cityblock to try and secure grant funding from Historic England for part of the project as it is listed in the Heritage Action Zone of Lancaster. The Centenary Church is a prominent building within the cityscape of Lancaster and its refurbishment is critical for the development of the Canal Quarter.
Photos: CityBlock Group.
To contact HPA about enquiries, click below.